By Margaret Malamud
- Places America’s reaction to Rome in a historic context, from the innovative period to the present
- Looks at portrayals of Rome in numerous media: writing, structure, theatre, portray, World’s gala's and Expositions, and film
- Beautifully illustrated with over forty top of the range images and figures
Read or Download Ancient Rome and Modern America (Classical Receptions) PDF
Best ancient history books
A heritage of the Archaic Greek international deals a theme-based method of the improvement of the Greek global within the years 1200-479 BCE. up to date and prolonged during this variation to incorporate new sections, improved geographical insurance, a advisor to digital assets, and extra illustrations Takes a severe and analytical examine facts in regards to the historical past of the archaic Greek global contains the reader within the perform of heritage by way of wondering and reevaluating traditional ideals Casts new mild on conventional issues equivalent to the increase of the city-state, citizen militias, and the origins of egalitarianism presents a wealth of archaeological proof, in a couple of assorted specialties, together with ceramics, structure, and mortuary reports
In response to shut analyses of latest texts, and sponsored through an exam of the origins of the weather transferred and of the method of transmission, the participants to this quantity specialise in the belief and model of information and cultural components within the West. Taking a number of ways, they make clear the altering traces of communique among the Byzantine empire and different components of the Mediterranean, at the one hand, and the Burgundian, Frankish and Anglo-Saxon geographical regions and the Papacy at the different.
Kaiserliche Bodyguards speedy 350 Jahre lang waren sie die Elitetruppe des römischen Militärs und übten enormen Einfluss auf die Politik und die Regenten Roms aus: Die Prätorianer. Sie besaßen die Macht, Kaiser auszurufen, deren Leben in ihren Händen lag, denn die Prätorianer entschieden mitunter über den Tod dessen, den sie eigentlich schützen sollten.
Among advert sixty nine and 161 the composition of the Roman legions was once remodeled. Italians have been virtually completely changed by means of provincial recruits, males for whom Latin was once at most sensible a moment language, and but the 'Roman-ness' of those Germans, Pannonians, Spaniards, Africans and Syrians, fostered in remoted fortresses at the frontiers, was once exceedingly powerful.
- Das Bild des Dareios in der Überlieferung: Dareios der Große: Ein weiser und ehrenwerter König? (German Edition)
- True Jew: How Jesus Really Ended Up on a Roman Cross, How We Still Cover It Up
- Trade and Taboo: Disreputable Professions in the Roman Mediterranean
- The Roman Empire of the Second Century, Or, the Age of Antonines
- Alien Wisdom: The Limits of Hellenization
- Honor and Personhood in Early Modern Mexico
Extra info for Ancient Rome and Modern America (Classical Receptions)
Ancient Rome and Modern America (Classical Receptions) by Margaret Malamud