By Arthur Groos,Norris J. Lacy
Read or Download Perceval/Parzival: A Casebook (Arthurian Characters and Themes) PDF
Best literary gothic & romantic criticism books
Edited with an advent and notes via James T. Boulton. 'One of the best essays ever written on artwork. '– The GuardianEdmund Burke’s A Philosophical Enquiry into the beginning of our rules of the chic and lovely is likely one of the most crucial works of aesthetics ever released. when many writers have taken up their pen to jot down of "the beautiful", Burke’s topic right here was once the standard he uniquely distinctive as "the sublime"—an all-consuming strength past good looks that pressured terror up to rapture in all who beheld it.
Romantic Indians considers the perspectives that Britons, colonists, and North American Indians took of one another in the course of a interval during which those humans have been in a more in-depth and extra fateful dating than ever ahead of or on the grounds that. it's, as a result, additionally a ebook approximately exploration, empire, and the different types of illustration that exploration and empire gave upward thrust to-in specific the shape we have now come to name Romanticism, within which 'Indians' look in every single place.
Reinventing the chic appears on the go back of the chic in postmodernity, and at intimations of a ‘post-Romantic’ elegant in Romanticism itself. The elegant is explored as a discourse of ‘invention’ – taking the Latin that means of to ‘come upon’, ‘find’, ‘discover’ – that consists of an come across with the recent, the unregulated and the excellent.
First released in 1986. This impressive selection of significant essays by means of a few of America’s best literary students and critics offers scholars of yankee literature with a special point of view of America’s Romantic literature. a few of these essays make connections among authors or outline Romanticism by way of one of many works; others tackle significant matters through the interval; others supply a framework for particular works; and, eventually, a few provide interpretations for the reader.
- The Undergrounds of the Phantom of the Opera: Sublimation and the Gothic in Leroux's Novel and its Progeny
- The Transatlantic Eco-Romanticism of Gary Snyder (The New Urban Atlantic)
- History of the Gothic: Gothic Literature 1825-1914: Gothic Literature 1825-1914 v. 2 (Gothic Literary Studies)
- The Gothic Body: Sexuality, Materialism, and Degeneration at the Fin de Siècle (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
- The Cambridge Companion to Mary Shelley (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- The Ecology of British Romantic Conservatism, 1790-1837 (Palgrave Studies in the Enlightenment, Romanticism and the Cultures of Print)
Additional info for Perceval/Parzival: A Casebook (Arthurian Characters and Themes)
Perceval/Parzival: A Casebook (Arthurian Characters and Themes) by Arthur Groos,Norris J. Lacy