By Robert Lawson,Dave Sayers,John R. Rickford
Shortlisted for the LSA Leonard Bloomfield e-book Award 2017
Sociolinguistic learn: software and Impact presents a special evaluation of foreign learn tasks, showcasing their optimistic results and supplying severe insights and confident opinions into the which means of ‘impact’ in modern learn. The ebook includes:
- original findings from state of the art examine from students equivalent to Mary Bucholtz, Walt Wolfram and Peter Patrick;
- coverage of organisational contexts together with schooling, executive, justice, history, and the workplace;
- activities together with after-school programmes, place of work education classes, social media campaigns, and video productions;
- application of study to expert perform together with instructing (primary college to university), adjudication, police interviewing, and governmental policymaking;
- contributors’ own reflections at the examine method and its results, together with confident evaluations of institutional definitions of impact.
With chapters spanning learn throughout 5 continents, Sociolinguistic examine: program and Impact is key interpreting for sociolinguistic researchers, scholars embarking on sociolinguistic study, and somebody attracted to the sensible software of research on language and society.
Read or Download Sociolinguistic Research: Application and Impact PDF
Similar linguistics books
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2004 im Fachbereich Sprachwissenschaft / Sprachforschung (fachübergreifend), observe: 2. zero, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (Institut für Romanistik), Sprache: Deutsch, summary: In dieser Arbeit beschäftige ich mich mit der Textanalyse, einem wichtigen Bereich der Sprachwissenschaft.
This white paper is a part of a sequence that promotes wisdom approximately language know-how and its power. It addresses educators, newshounds, politicians, language groups and others. the supply and use of language know-how in Europe varies among languages. for this reason, the activities which are required to additional help study and improvement of language applied sciences additionally fluctuate for every language.
Translation experiences and linguistics were dealing with a love-hate dating because the Fifties. This e-book assesses each side of the connection, tracing the very actual contributions that linguists have made to translation experiences and whilst spotting the restrictions of lots of their techniques.
Even supposing usage-based ways were effectively utilized to the research of either first and moment language acquisition, to monolingual and bilingual improvement, and to naturalistic and suggested settings, it's not universal to think about those other kinds of acquisition in tandem. the current quantity takes an integrative technique and indicates that usage-based theories supply a far wanted unified framework for the examine of first, moment and international language acquisition, in monolingual and bilingual contexts.
- Gender and Discourse: Language and Power in Politics, the Church and Organisations (Real Language Series)
- Choral Repertoire
- Thanking and Politeness in Japanese: Balancing Acts in Interaction
- Calvin in Context: Second Edition
Additional resources for Sociolinguistic Research: Application and Impact
Sociolinguistic Research: Application and Impact by Robert Lawson,Dave Sayers,John R. Rickford