By David Punter,Glennis Byron
- Provides an summary of the main major concerns and debates in Gothic studies.
- Explains the origins and improvement of the time period Gothic.
- Explores the evolution of the Gothic in either literary and non-literary kinds, together with artwork, structure and film.
- Features authoritative readings of key works, starting from Horace Walpole’s The fort of Otranto to Bret Easton Ellis’s American Psycho.
- Considers recurrent matters of the Gothic corresponding to persecution and paranoia, key motifs equivalent to the haunted citadel, and figures similar to the vampire and the monster.
- Includes a chronology of key Gothic texts, together with fiction and picture from the 1760s to the current day, and a complete bibliography.
Read Online or Download The Gothic (Wiley Blackwell Guides to Literature) PDF
Similar literary gothic & romantic criticism books
Edited with an creation and notes by means of James T. Boulton. 'One of the best essays ever written on paintings. '– The GuardianEdmund Burke’s A Philosophical Enquiry into the starting place of our principles of the elegant and lovely is among the most vital works of aesthetics ever released. while many writers have taken up their pen to jot down of "the beautiful", Burke’s topic right here was once the standard he uniquely wonderful as "the sublime"—an all-consuming strength past good looks that pressured terror up to rapture in all who beheld it.
Romantic Indians considers the perspectives that Britons, colonists, and North American Indians took of one another in the course of a interval within which those humans have been in a more in-depth and extra fateful dating than ever ahead of or seeing that. it's, consequently, additionally a ebook approximately exploration, empire, and the varieties of illustration that exploration and empire gave upward thrust to-in specific the shape we now have come to name Romanticism, within which 'Indians' look in all places.
Reinventing the elegant seems on the go back of the chic in postmodernity, and at intimations of a ‘post-Romantic’ chic in Romanticism itself. The chic is explored as a discourse of ‘invention’ – taking the Latin which means of to ‘come upon’, ‘find’, ‘discover’ – that comprises an come across with the hot, the unregulated and the unbelievable.
First released in 1986. This extraordinary choice of significant essays by way of a few of America’s most interesting literary students and critics offers scholars of yankee literature with a distinct point of view of America’s Romantic literature. a few of these essays make connections among authors or outline Romanticism when it comes to one of many works; others handle significant concerns throughout the interval; others supply a framework for particular works; and, ultimately, a few provide interpretations for the reader.
- Wales and the Medieval Colonial Imagination: The Matters of Britain in the Twelfth Century (The New Middle Ages)
- Masterclass: Writing Romantic Fiction: A modern guide to writing compelling love stories of passion and desire (Teach Yourself: Writing)
- William Cobbett, Romanticism and the Enlightenment: Contexts and Legacy (The Enlightenment World)
- A Modern Coleridge: Cultivation, Addiction, Habits
Additional resources for The Gothic (Wiley Blackwell Guides to Literature)
The Gothic (Wiley Blackwell Guides to Literature) by David Punter,Glennis Byron