By Francis R. Nicosia
Read Online or Download The Three Romes: Moscow, Constantinople, and Rome PDF
Similar russian history books
This publication examines the Russian conquest of the traditional principal Asian khanates of Bukhara and Khiva within the 1860s and 1870s, and the connection among Russia and the territories till their extinction as political entities in 1924. It indicates how Russia's strategy constructed from one in every of non-intervention, with the first target of forestalling British enlargement from India into the zone, to 1 of accelerating intervention as alternate and Russian cost grew.
Because the finish of the chilly struggle there was an elevated curiosity within the Baltics. The Baltic States brings jointly 3 titles, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, to supply a accomplished and analytical advisor integrating historical past, political technological know-how, financial improvement and modern occasions into one account.
Like different majority Muslim areas of the previous Soviet Union, the republic of Dagestan, on Russia's southern frontier, has develop into contested territory in a hegemonic pageant among Moscow and resurgent Islam. during this authoritative ebook the top specialists on Dagestan supply a course breaking learn of this risky kingdom faraway from the world's gaze.
Stalin, to borrow Churchill’s word, is “a riddle wrapped in a secret inside of an enigma”. There are nonetheless heated arguments approximately how accurately we should always pass judgement on the Georgian pupil priest who grew as much as be one of many twentieth century’s such a lot infamous mass-murderers. This owes a lot to the enormity of the crimes, as Claire Shaw says during this brief yet chilling e-book in regards to the guy and the political procedure that built lower than his rule: Stalinism.
- Katyn and the Soviet Massacre of 1940: Truth, Justice and Memory (BASEES/Routledge Series on Russian and East European Studies)
- Narrative Propagation in Russia: A Study in Continuity - Censorship Employed by Tsars, Stalin, and Putin, 2014 Sochi Olympics, Pussy Riot, Putin Cult of Personality, Great Russia, Russian Nationalism
- Science, Utility and Maritime Power: Samuel Bentham in Russia, 1779-91 (Corbett Centre for Maritime Policy Studies Series)
- Popular Perceptions of Soviet Politics in the 1920s: Disenchantment of the Dreamers
- Local History, Transnational Memory in the Romanian Holocaust (Studies in European Culture and History)
- The Visual Dominant in Eighteenth-Century Russia
Additional resources for The Three Romes: Moscow, Constantinople, and Rome
The Three Romes: Moscow, Constantinople, and Rome by Francis R. Nicosia